Sunday, June 10, 2012

Stop and Smell the Roses

I took a test yesterday that discussed the 'hurried syndrome' and of course I inferred that it dealt with people chronically hurrying. I'd never heard of it but I see it all the time.

Today one of the children wanted to talk to me about what types of leaves were on a tree and whether the tree was a White Oak or Birch tree. My mind was on being on time and making sure everyone had on their seatbelts.

I didn't realize that my child was applying skills taught in science class at school in his analysis of his natural surroundings. I didn't take the time to synthesize with him. I didn't acknowledge his growth...but I was on time ad everyone arrived safely. Yay me?

Today's Lesson: Stop and Smell the Roses

From now on: I will build in 30 minutes on the front end so that we can take the time for spontaneous exploration and reflection.

No comments:

Post a Comment